100 Little Things
What makes us different?
1. Our Guiding Principle: they’re a part of your family. You’re a part of ours.
- Local Shelter Pets: we provide thousands of dollars of free medical care each year to Austin Humane Society, Austin Pets Alive!, and Austin Animal Center pets so they’ll be ready for adoption.
- Neighborhood Schools: we actively sponsor and participate in events like science fairs and career days for Austin schools.
- Specialist Partnerships: we have multiple options for local specialty care when needed.
- Private Parking Spaces: we have front row parking for our clients whether you’re dropping your pet off and heading to work or staying for an appointment.
- Proactive Measures: we like to be proactive for fearful, anxious, and stressed pets. If both you and your pet stress about going to the vet, call us ahead of your visit so we can plan a quick move through the lobby, have favorite treats ready, or create a pre-visit plan with medications or supplements for the visit, if appropriate.
- Low-Cost Partnership: we are proud to call Emancipet one of our partners too, and we support them through donations and discounted medical care each year.
- Post Adoption Care: we work with Austin Pets Alive! (and new pet owners) to help some of their more therapeutically complex pets with free medical care even after they’ve found their forever homes.
- Smiling Faces: we have amazing, talented, happy team members who love taking care of you.
- Coffee! we partner with Barley Bean to provide you tasty coffee any time you come in.
- Tours: we love to show off our hospital to clients and guests, at any time!
- Tags: we engrave personalized Firehouse pet tags for our patients – as many as you want – forever!
- Comfy Lobby: for the short time you are in it, we want you and your pet to be comfortable. We have pet-focused coffee table books to browse too!
- We Smell Good! we work hard to not “smell like a vet clinic” because we are anti-stink.
- Great Art: we partner with local pet artists to feature beautiful artwork on our walls.
- Snacks! nothing makes kids (and adults) happier than grabbing a snack and a drink.
- Kid Stuff: toys, Firehouse coloring books, cartoons, and more to keep them occupied while we chat.
- Wine! we say “thank you” for giving us a try by giving you a bottle of red or white wine.
- Follow-Ups: we want to make sure everything is going well, so we’ll reach out to you often.
- Open Doors: there are no boundaries in our facilities; we want to partner with you in patient care.
- Getting on the Floor: most of our patients are more comfortable there, and so are we.
- Stress-Free: we constantly strive to provide low-stress experiences for our patients and clients. We use Fear Free & Cat Friendly Practice techniques.
- Doctor Time: our doctors take time to sit and chat because it’s the core of how we practice.
- Dental Exams: we are tooth fanatics, so come in any time for a free dental exam.
- Comfort Room: we have a special room for deep discussions or to say goodbye to a beloved pet – a separate exit to the outside gives our clients privacy for tough moments.
- X-rays: we pinpoint issues with a state-of-the-art digital system providing quick, high-quality images.
- Surgery Suite: we perform procedures in a dedicated suite full of the best medical devices available.
- Referral Program: when you trust us enough to send us a new client, you both benefit!
- Behavior Training: we work closely with Austin’s go-to “dog whisperers” on all behavioral issues.
- Cremation Services: we work with Rainbow Bridge because they treat our patients like their own pets.
- Grassy Space: our hospital has nearby grassy space for your pets to enjoy before, during, and after your visit.
- We Do the Work: we will fill out and submit paperwork for rebates, rewards, insurance – it’s our job!
- Wi-Fi and TV: waiting is a pain, and we minimize it… but if it happens, we have free Wi-Fi and TV!
- Scheduling: we care about flow and our schedule; emergencies happen, but we typically run on time.
- Dental X-rays: our digital system is crucial in providing the best care for your pet’s teeth.
- Technician Team: our vet techs are the best in the business, continually developing their skills.
- 24-Hour Phone Service: we provide 24-hour care by phone, so you know that we’ll always be there when you need us most.
- Client Service Team: our talented client service coordinators are here to facilitate every step of the process.
- Efficient Design: we spend months with our architects designing each facility to maximize functionality.
40. Wellness: everything we do is to ensure our patients live long, happy, and healthy lives. We offer cost-effective programs to identify issues early.
- Puppy / Kitten: we provide discounted packages for the crucial early days, including spay/neuter.
- Client Rewards Program: your loyalty means a lot, and our program rewards you with special perks.
- Drop-Offs: we know you’re busy, so we welcome early appointment drop-offs and late pick-ups.
- No Hiding: our patients are always close to our team so we can keep a watchful eye on them.
- Digital Records: our electronic medical record system is secure, accurate, and reliable.
- Vendors: we build relationships with vendor partners to provide the best products at the best prices.
- Lab: our on-site and reference laboratories provide comprehensive diagnostics for our patients.
- Kennels: our accommodations are clean, spacious, and comfortable for our patients.
- Cat Friendly: we provide separate exam rooms, kennels, and treatment areas for our feline friends. These areas even feature cat art on the walls!
- Feliway: we use cat facial pheromones to decrease stress, especially in cat-only areas.
- Telemedicine: our medical team has 24-hour access to a specialist network for case consultation.
- Communication: we help team members become better communicators through ongoing education because it directly affects patient care.
- Collaboration: a core value here — our team works together to solve clinical challenges.
- Positive Mindset: we foster positive communication to help everyone stay productive and lower stress.
55. Giving: for every $250 you spend, you can donate $5 to a community group (over $45,000 in impact so far!).
- Vet for a Day: we donate in-hospital experiences to local school and community group fundraisers. This helps nonprofits raise funds, and it helps encourage the next generation of veterinarians!
- Local Magazines: we know you’re into Austin news. Our lobby is stocked with our city’s latest glossies.
- Internships: we mentor high school, college, and vet school interns to help build careers. If your student is a budding veterinarian, ask us about this program.
- Microchipping: we register every patient we microchip to make sure each one makes it back home if lost.
- Continuing Education: as a team, we are always learning and training to stay on the cutting edge of medicine.
- Info to Go: we send every patient home with complete information for continuing care.
- Staff Development: we help our team members reach their career goals by providing individualized plans to foster their growth. We know happy team members make better caregivers.
- Teamwork = Success! we know teamwork is the only way toward continued growth and success.
- Boarding / Grooming: we research and build relationships with the best Austin pet service providers.
- Firehouse in the News: our doctors are passionate about educating the public about pet health. They are regularly asked to provide medical expertise on TV, in the newspaper, and in local/national online news outlets.
- Community: From day one, we’ve given back to our community. We engage with and support local community groups who work with kids and animals.
67. Chief the Big Dog and Ember the Big Cat: our 12’ tall blow up-mascots attend all of our events and occasionally visit our hospitals.
- Advisors: our doctors are medical advisors to pet-related businesses and groups in Austin and beyond.
- Awesome Doctors: we invite only the brightest, most caring, and experienced doctors to join our team.
- Austin Vibe: we embrace the ATX culture; life can be stressful (and weird!), but we are here to give you peace of mind.
- Comprehensive Care: we provide complete pet care in our hospitals, and we coordinate care with specialists when necessary.
- Education: we want you to understand what is happening; the more you know, the better we do our job.
- Passion: we are driven by a shared love of providing great care to pets and their people.
74. Demonstrations: nail trims, brushing teeth, giving medications or injections – no problem, we will teach you!
- Client Relationships: we feel lucky to be able to collaborate with you to provide care to your pet.
- Patient Relationships: working to provide health and happiness to our patients is deeply rewarding!
77. Communication Training: we are involved in ongoing medical communication research and training for our team.
- Online Meds: our online pharmacy is an easy, convenient, and economical way to buy pet meds!
- Food Returns: if a diet we provide doesn’t work out, we will take it back for a full refund and find another solution.
- Vaccines: we respect the power of vaccination, and we use as few as possible, tailored to each patient.
- Medical Products: we investigate and select the best medical products available for our patients.
- Alternatives: we have partners in many alternative therapies to offer diverse treatment options, including chiropractic care and more!
- Windows: we design windows into our hospitals so that you can see what is going on in our space.
- Thanks: we say thanks in many ways, often in the form of a written note; we appreciate you!
- No Drama: we have a no-drama policy to create a workplace where we can actually get stuff done.
- Work / Life: although hard to balance, we create systems to help our teams achieve it.
- The “Why”: our culture is based on understanding why we are here and what we seek to achieve.
- Memorial Program: we honor each of our patients’ lives by making a contribution to Emancipet.
- Go Local: As an Austin-founded company, we try at every opportunity to support other local businesses through patronage or referral.
- The Human-Animal Bond: we value the role your pets play in your family; we will collaborate with you on how to develop and enrich this relationship.
- Nutrition: great nutrition creates lifelong health and happiness; we offer the best expertise for our patients.
- Locations: we also have hospitals in Kyle, Leander, Round Rock, Belterra, and Denver, so whether you live in another part of town or are on vacation, we are always here to help.
- 30-Minute Appointments: we buck the industry trend and schedule plenty of time for our visits.
- Saturdays: we are open for weekend appointments because we know you’re busy during the workweek.
- Surgery: scheduled or emergency, we provide most procedures right here, right now.
- Staying Connected: we post stories on social media; find us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube.
- Easy Appointments: easily schedule an appointment on our website or even through Google!
- Firehouse Swag: t-shirts and hats for humans; leashes, tennis balls, laser pointers, water bowls, and more for our furry friends!
- Website: our mobile-friendly website is a great, up-to-date resource for both you and your pet.
- Feedback: good or bad, we love hearing about your experience – it helps us do even better.
We're Here To Help
Mon-Fri: 7:30am - 6:00pm
Sat: 8:00am - 12:00pm
Phone: 512.765.9009 (Call 24/7!)
Get in touch!
Have a question for the Firehouse Animal Health Center team? Whether it’s a question about one of our locations, a media request, or anything else, please complete the form below, and we’ll get back to you as quickly as possible! If you need immediate assistance, please call us at 512.765.9009.