100 Little Things
What makes us different?
- Our Guiding Principle: They’re a part of your family. You’re a part of ours.
- Neighborhood Schools: We visit local schools in Eanes and AISD School Districts/nearby private schools, plus we bring high school students to the hospital for classes and mentorship programs.
- Local Shelter Pets: we provide thousands of dollars of free medical care each year to Austin Humane Society, Austin Pets Alive!, and Austin Animal Center pets so they’ll be ready for adoption.
- Post Adoption Care: we work with Austin Pets Alive! (and new pet owners) to help some of their more therapeutically complex pets with free medical care even after they’ve found their forever homes.
- Affordable and Specialized Care Partnerships: we are proud to call Emancipet a partner too, and we offer specialized, affordable medical care to families who need it.
- We’re Parents Too: We have kids, we have pets, we have busy jobs too. We are committed to tailoring your pet’s health care to align with your family dynamics.
- Tags: We engrave personalized Firehouse pet tags for our patients – as many as you want – forever! PS–we have cat sizes and dog sizes.
- Grassy Space: Each hospital has onsite grassy space that pets can use if they need it.
- Windows: We design windows into our doors and walls so that you can see what is going on in our treatment area.
- 24-Hour Phone Service: We provide 24-hour care by phone, so you know that we’ll always be there when you need us most.
- The “Why”: Our culture is based on understanding why we are here and what we hope to achieve (building trusting relationships with clients, exceeding expectations, showing compassion, collaborating, fostering education)
- Alternatives: We have partners in many alternative therapies to offer diverse treatment options including chiropractic work and more.
- Proactive Measures: We like to plan ahead for fearful, anxious, and stressed pets. If you or your pet stress about visiting the vet, call us before your visit so we can plan a quick move through the lobby, have favorite treats ready, or create a pre-visit plan with medications or supplements for the appointment.
- Smiling Faces: We have amazing, talented, happy team members who love taking care of you.
- Coffee: We partner with local coffee companies to provide you with tasty coffee any time you come in.
- Tours: We love to show off our hospital to clients and guests, at any time!
- Comfy Lobby: For the short time you are in it, we want you and your pet to be comfortable.
- We Smell Good! We work hard to not “smell like a vet clinic” because we are anti-stink.
- Great Art: Each hospital features art that brightens our walls while also helping our pets feel calm.
- Snacks! Nothing makes kids (and adults) happier than grabbing a snack and a drink in our lobby.
- Kid Stuff: Toys, Firehouse coloring books, cartoons, and more to keep them occupied while we chat.
22. Local Nonprofits: We provide thousands of dollars of free medical care to local shelter pets each year (over $700,000 to date)!
- Wine! We say “thank you” for giving us a try by giving you a bottle of red or white wine.
- Follow-Ups: We want to make sure everything is going well, so we’ll reach out to you often.
- Open Doors: There are no boundaries in our facilities. We want to partner with you in patient care. Ask us questions and join us in the treatment area.
- Getting on the Floor: Most of our patients are more comfortable there and so are we.
- Doctor Time: Our doctors take time to sit and chat because it’s the core of how we practice.
- Comfort Room: We have special rooms for deep discussions or to say goodbye to a beloved pet. A separate exit to the outside gives our clients privacy for tough moments.
- X-rays: We pinpoint issues with a state-of-the-art digital system providing quick, high-quality images.
- Surgery Suite: We perform procedures in a dedicated suite full of the best medical devices available.
- Referral Program: When you trust us enough to send us a new client, you both benefit!
- Behavior Training: We work closely with Austin’s go-to “dog whisperers” on all behavioral issues.
33. Stress-Free Experience: We constantly strive to provide low-stress experiences for our patients and clients. We use Fear Free and Cat Friendly Practice techniques.
- Cremation Services: We work with Rainbow Bridge because they treat our patients like their own pets.
- We Do the Work: We will fill out and submit paperwork for rebates, rewards, insurance – it’s our job!
- Wi-Fi and TV: Waiting is a pain and we minimize it… but if it happens, we have free Wi-Fi, TV, pet-focused coffee table books, and local magazines.
- Scheduling: We care about flow and our schedule. Emergencies happen but we typically run on time.
- Dental X-rays: Our digital system is crucial in providing the best care for your pet’s teeth.
- Technician Team: Our vet techs are the best in the business, continually developing their skills. Plus, they bring their kind and positive attitudes to work each day.
- Communication Training: We help team members become better communicators through ongoing education because it directly affects patient care.
- Client Service Coordinators: Our talented front desk coordinators are here to facilitate every step of the process.
- Efficient Design: We spend months with our architects designing each hospital to maximize functionality.
- Preventive Care: Everything we do is to ensure our patients live long, happy, and healthy lives.
- Puppies & Kittens: We provide discounted packages for the crucial early days, including spays and neuters.
- Client Rewards Program: Your loyalty means a lot, and our program rewards you with special perks.
- Drop-Offs: We know you’re busy, so we welcome early appointment drop-offs and late pick-ups.
- No Hiding: Our patients are always close to our team so we can keep a watchful eye on them.
- Digital Records: Our electronic medical record system is secure, accurate, and reliable.
- Boarding, Grooming, Training, and Product Partners: We research and build relationships with Austin service providers and vendors so you can rely on our recommendations.
- Lab: Our on-site and reference laboratories provide comprehensive diagnostics for our patients.
- Kennels: Our accommodations are clean, spacious, and comfortable for our patients.
- Telemedicine: Our medical team has 24-hour access to a specialist network for case consultation.
- Staying Connected: We post stories on social media to educate and amuse. Find us on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube.
- Collaboration: A core value here — our team works together to solve clinical challenges.
- Positive Mindset: We foster positive communication to help everyone stay productive and lower stress.
- Giving: For every $250 you spend, you can donate $5 to a community group ($60,000 in impact so far!)
57. Cat-Friendly: We provide separate exam rooms, kennels, and treatment areas for our feline friends. These areas even feature cat art and Feliway (pheromones) to decrease stress.
- Vet For A Day: We donate in-hospital experiences to a local school and community group fundraisers. This helps nonprofits raise funds and it helps encourage the next generation of veterinarians!
- Internships: We mentor high school, college, and vet school interns to help build careers. Ask us about this program if your student is a budding veterinarian.
- Microchipping: We register every patient we microchip to make sure our patients are trackable if lost.
- Continuing Education: As a team, we are always learning and training to stay on the cutting edge of medicine.
- Info To Go: We send every patient home with complete information for continuing care.
- Staff Development: We help our team members reach their career goals by providing individualized plans to foster their growth. We know happy team members make better caregivers.
- Firehouse In The News: Our doctors are passionate about educating the public about pet health. They are regularly asked to provide medical expertise on TV, in the newspaper, and in local/national online news outlets.
- Specialist Partnerships: We have multiple options for local specialty care when needed.
- Community: From day one we’ve given back to our community. We engage with and support local community groups who work with kids and animals.
- Chief the Big Dog and Ember the Big Cat: Our 12’ tall blow-up mascots attend all of our events and occasionally visit our hospitals.
- Advisors: Our doctors are medical advisors to pet-related businesses and groups in Austin and beyond.
- Awesome Doctors: We invite only the brightest, most caring, and experienced doctors to join our team.
- Austin Vibe: We embrace the ATX culture; life can be stressful (and weird!), but we are here to give you peace of mind.
- Comprehensive Care: We provide complete pet care in our hospitals, and we coordinate care with specialists when necessary.
- Education: We want you to understand what is happening; the more you know, the better we do our job.
- Passion: We are driven by a shared love of providing great care to pets and their people.
- Demonstrations: We take the time to show you how to care for your pet at home, whether you’re using a new medication, giving injections, or learning about oral care and nail-trims. No problem! We’ll teach you!
- Client Relationships: We work hard to earn your trust, as we feel lucky to be able to collaborate with you and provide care to your pet.
- Patient Relationships: Working to provide health and happiness to our patients is deeply rewarding!
77. Dental Exams: We are tooth fanatics, so come in any time for a free dental exam.
- Online Meds: Our online pharmacy is an easy, convenient, and economical way to buy pet meds!
- Returns: If a diet we provide doesn’t work out, we will take it back for a full refund and find another solution.
- Vaccines: We respect the power of vaccination, and we use as few as possible, tailored to each patient.
- Medical Products: We investigate and select the best medical products available for our patients.
- We encourage questions: Call us any time or bring your list to your pet’s exam.
- Behavior: We’ll ask about it at every appointment to assess your pet’s emotions.
- Thanks: We say thanks in many ways, often in the form of a written note. We appreciate you!
- No Drama: We have a no-drama policy to create a workplace where we can actually get stuff done.
- Work/Life: Although hard to balance, we create systems to help our teams achieve it. We know when our teams are refreshed, your pet gets better care.
- Memorial Program: We honor each of our patients’ lives by making a contribution to Emancipet.
- Go Local: As an Austin-founded company, we try at every opportunity to support other local businesses through patronage or referral.
- The Human-Animal Bond: We value the role your pets play in your family; we treat them as if they were our own.
90. Nutrition: Great nutrition creates lifelong health and happiness; we make nutritional recommendations fine-tuned to you and your pet.
- Multiple Austin Locations: We aim to serve you in your community; we are currently in 5 Austin locations with more coming soon!
- 30-Minute Slots: We buck the industry trend and schedule plenty of time for our appointments.
- Saturdays: We are open for weekend appointments because we know you’re busy during the workweek.
- Surgery: Scheduled or emergency, we provide most procedures right here, right now.
- Easy Appointments: Easily schedule an appointment on our website or even through Google!
- Firehouse Swag: T-shirts and hats for humans; leashes, tennis or ping pong balls, and water bowls for our furry friends!
- Exotics: We aren’t limited to just dogs or cats; we also see birds, pocket pets, and the occasional pig, squirrel, and snake!
- Feedback: Good or bad, we love hearing about your experience – it helps us do even better.
- Client Appreciation Events: We host annual client parties to say thank you for being a part of our family, including Santa Paws Photos and anniversary celebrations.
- Parking Spots: We make it easy for you to drop off your pet with spots right out front.
We're Here To Help
Mon-Fri: 7:30am - 6:00pm
Sat: 8:00am - 12:00pm
Phone: 512.765.9009 (Call 24/7!)
Get in touch!
Have a question for the Firehouse Animal Health Center team? Whether it’s a question about one of our locations, a media request, or anything else, please complete the form below, and we’ll get back to you as quickly as possible! If you need immediate assistance, please call us at 512.765.9009.